The Sacrament of Confirmation
Confirmation brings to completion the grace received through baptism. By this sacrament the baptized are more perfectly bound to the church and are enriched by the strength of the Holy Spirit. This gift conforms believers more fully to Christ and strengthens them to bear witness to Christ for the building up of his body in faith and love.
The Diocese of Greensburg has official qualifications of confirmation sponsors as well as several guidelines and/or recommendations.
Qualifications - Confirmation Sponsors
- Be designated by the candidate, by the parents or guardians, or the pastor.
- Have the qualifications and intention of performing the role of sponsor.
- Be at least 16 years old.
- Be a fully initiated Catholic (received baptism, confirmation and Eucharist).
- Lead a life in harmony with the faith and role of a sponsor (i.e., be a member of a parish, attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days, not be in an irregular marriage, etc.).
- Not be bound by a canonical penalty.
- Not be the father or mother of the one to be confirmed.
Sponsors for the sacrament of confirmation must abide by the same qualifications as sponsors for the sacrament of baptism. In addition, the following guidelines and/or recommendations apply:
- There is normally one sponsor for the sacrament of confirmation.
- It is recommended that a baptismal godparent exercise the role of confirmation sponsor.
- A non-Catholic may not serve as a sponsor for the sacrament of confirmation. (It is discouraged that a spouse serve as confirmation sponsor).
Our diocese continues the practice of requiring proof of eligibility for sponsorship from the parish where the sponsor is registered.
Letters of approval to serve as a sponsor cannot be issued to persons who find themselves in one or more of the following categories:
- Persons married outside of the Church
- Divorced persons who have remarried without an annulment
- Unmarried persons who are cohabitating
- Catholics in name only and persons not registered at one of the Partner Parishes of St. Martin and St. Joseph
Adults who have made their First Communion and would like to receive Confirmation can receive this beautiful sacrament to complete Baptism with the 8th grade in the spring Confirmation. Please call 724-694-5359 or 724-989-5725.